Bake It Till You Make It: Mashed Potato Chocolate Cake
We love doing the unthinkable - especially if it comes with layers of chocolate frosting!
The secret to this delicious cake? *drumroll*…… MASHED POTATO!
This Chocolate Potato Cake recipe is guaranteed to please chocolate cake and potato lovers alike.
Leftover mashed potato? Solved. The mashed potato gives the cake a moist and fluffy texture.
Don’t believe it? We have this recipe tried and tested. Watch us attempt it here!
Ingredients (Serves 12)s
- 1 large baking potato
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 ¾ cups cake flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled a little
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
Chocolate Ganache Glaze
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- ¼ cup half and half
PART 1: POTATO
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a large bundt or tube pan and set it aside.
- Peel the potato and cut it into large cubes.
- Place the cubes in a saucepot and cover with water.
- Place over medium high heat, bring to a boil, and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the water off and using a masher or a mixer, mash the potatoes until no lumps (or very small ones) remain.
- Measure out 3/4 cup for the recipe.
- Take the remaining potatoes, season them as you desire, and eat them before they get cold
PART 2: BATTER
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, place the sugar, cake flour and baking soda and with the mixer on low, allow the mixture to combine, about 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, butter, melted chocolate, and vanilla and mix on low speed to combine. Raise the speed to medium and allow it to beat until fluffy, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs and the buttermilk.
- Slowly add the mixture to the batter.
- Scrape the bowl well and combine it completely. Scrape the batter into a pan and bake until a pick inserted comes out clean, about an hour.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 20 minutes and then remove it from the pan to finish cooling on a rack.
PART 3: GANACHE
- Place the glaze ingredients in a small sauté pan over low heat.
- As this heats, stir it to melt the chocolate. Do not let it boil or simmer.
- Keep stirring until half the chocolate is melted.
- Remove from the heat and continue stirring to melt the remaining lumps.
- When the cake has completely cooled, use a piping bag or a spoon to drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake.
Need MORE inspiration for your next cake? We’ve been floored by all the amazing cake creations on DIVA, and here are some of our favourites!
Carnival themed cakes from Cake Hunters
Underwater themed creation from Cake Hunters
Royal cake from Texas Cake House
But that’s not all DIVAs…
Here’s one more to hit your sweet spot— Donut Showdown Season 2 is coming to DIVA this February!
We are busy stirring, mixing, and whipping up more baking shows on DIVA!
Stay tuned and click through the links above and get baking!
Tags: Texas Cake House