Bake It Till You Make It: Tomato Soup Cake
Yes, yes. We know. Tomatoes are meant for sandwiches and ketchup. But we’ve been watching so much Cake Hunters and Texas Cake House that we felt like being adventurous!
To be honest, the cake tasted just like a savoury raisin and spice cake. Don’t believe it? Try this recipe it at your next potluck!
Watch Mindy, Nat and Jiwwy attempt it here!
INGREDIENTS (Makes 2 layers)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ⅓ cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 can (10 ¾ ounces) of Campbell’s condensed tomato soup
- ½ cup shortening (or butter)
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup raisins
- Cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese frosting
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans, shaking out any excess flour.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients.
- Add the soup, shortening, eggs, and water. Beat together until everything forms a smooth (pink!) batter.
- Fold in raisins. Pour the batter into both cake pans, doing your best to get the same amount in each.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes; when the cake is done, a fork inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Let the cake cool completely and spread the cream cheese frosting between and on top of the cooled cake.
Can’t get enough of DIVA’s Bake It Till You Make It Challenge?
Check out the link below and get baking!
That’s not all DIVAs…
We are busy stirring, mixing, and whipping up more baking shows that will hit your sweet spot!
A showdown you DONUT want to miss…
Using the most UNEXPECTED ingredients, 3 donut makers compete each week to put their creativity to the ultimate test!
Details on where and how to watch here!
Not all superheroes wear capes...some wear an apron and make you the cake of your dreams!
Here are some of our favourite OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD creations on DIVA!
Carnival themed cakes from Cake Hunters
An underwater themed creation from Cake Hunters
A Royal cake from Texas Cake House
Take your baking game to the next level with these tips from Texas Cake House! Gotta try it next time we bake.
Stay tuned for the next challenge!
Tags: Cake Hunters